.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Driving Privileges



It's been a while, friends. It's been a while.

As a missionary, driving is a privilege. If you break the rules, the privilege is taken away. That's how it works. A few days ago I was driving along Centreville road when I got pulled over. Bummer, right? It was an honest mistake, but it was one that I had to pay the consequences for. I got a speeding ticket. Other than the fine that I would inevitably have to pay, I knew that the consequences would also affect my future driving opportunities as a missionary. After texting the mission president and handing the keys over to my companion, I was left to await the verdict of what my consequences would be.

A few days later, I got a call from Elder Jenkins in the mission office. He talked with me a little bit about the situation. Then he said something that took me off guard. He said, "Sister Martindale, we've discussed it, and we think you're the perfect person to be driving that car right now."

What? I had just gotten a ticket, and a hefty one at that. How could I be the perfect person to be driving the mission car right now? He then explained to me that because I had been, as he put it, "bit" by the law and had to pay the consequences, it was likely that I was going to be a more careful driver from now on. He said as long as I promised to do my best and not make the mistake again, that my driving privleges would be restored. I anxiously agreed and promised that I would be better.

That day I learned a valuable lesson. Not only about driving, but about the atonement of Jesus Christ. God has given us the amazing ability to make choices and with every choice that we make there are consequences that follow. When we mess up and make a bad choice, we are asked to repent. "Repentance is more than simply acknowledging wrongdoings. It is a change of mind and heart. It includes turning away from sin and turning to God for forgiveness. It is motivated by love for God and the sincere desire to obey His commandments." (-For the Strength of Youth)

"To repent, you need to confess your sins to the Lord. Then seek forgiveness from those you have wronged, and restore as far as possible what has been damaged by your actions." (-For the Strength of Youth) If we repent and forsake our sins we will become more humble and more willing to submit ourselves to the will of the Father. Repentance offers us "a fresh view about God, about oneself, and about the world." (-Bible Dictionary)  Repentance brings us closer to God.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone should go around sinning so that they can repent and come closer to God. But if we do slip up and sin, we fall further from God. Repentance helps us to restore that relationship and I believe it can bring us closer than we were before.

Because of my foolish actions I received a painful consequence. (At least my wallet thinks so.) But because of this experience I am determined to be a better driver. Thanks to Jesus Christ, we can all become "better drivers" in our lives. We can all be forgiven of our sins and we can feel his grace not only redeeming us, but changing us.

No comments:

Post a Comment